Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!    Welcome to NGTO!
You are here: [ Stream Reviews ]

This months feature... Nimblewill Creek / Cooper Creek

"How I Caught My Limit Without Landing a Fish"
by Michael Allen

Saturdays trip with my two sons Andrew 12 yrs. and John 14 yrs. was in all, a good one. We packed up Fri night left home about 5:00 am and arrived at Nimblewill Creek just before sun-up. We found the creek to be quite shallow in most places with heavy overhanging branches, downed logs and limbs making it challenging if not difficult to reach most pools.

I got two very small ones and released them. I used corn, salmon eggs and a #2 Mepps aglia. The boys used corn and Rooster Tails and small Panther Martin spinners.

John caught a beautiful 6 inch brook and released him. I'd like to think he was a native brook. His color was magnificent. Nimblewill Creek seemed very shallow despite the rains he had the previous two days the water was clear. There was evidence on the roads and in the campsites that it in fact had been raining. We were there till about 9 am. With little luck and little competition from other fishermen we packed up and headed North.

We arrived at Cooper Creek (above Suches) an hour later and proceeded on through to Mulkey Sites . We saw several campers and some anglers with some nice trout. The river was very high and murky as a result of the recent rains. The stream looked real busy, but not over fished. The heavy rains had provided the fish with plenty of natural food. I wondered if we'd catch anything.

The boys got the best of me all day. Although I tried every lure in my box. I had several hits on corn and a #6 hook and lost a fighter in a large pool across from campsite # 10 at Mulkey on a red salmon egg. The boys witnessed I lost him.

Andrew caught the biggest rainbow of the day and handled him well after learning the all important lesson of keeping the rod tip down when bringing the fish to the bank. He had several hits and for his first real trout fishing trip I'm certain he'll be going back for more.

John caught a total of five nice eating size 9 to 9 1/2 in. rainbows. He demonstrated a lot of patience and persistence. He stayed with the spinners most all day. It gave me an opportunity so spend some good quality time with them and to show them a few important tips about "working the current", lure placement and continuous movement ( so as not to get snagged on the bottom). They were good listeners. I am proud of them and the day we had.

We decided to clean our catch at home and save them for Grandma Bett since tomorrow would be Mothers' Day and she does love trout for breakfast. When I was younger than Andrew, Daddy and I would catch a few trout around Charlies' Creek and bring them back for her to cook up for breakfast.) I thought it was fittin' to do that.

Since it is in fact May of 1999. And the world we live in is so uncertain and disconcerting for youngsters. I feel real good today knowing that my sons and I made a memory that will ( I pray) last forever. This weekend was a success and I never landed one fish. I caught something much greater. If you asked my daddy, "When is the best time to go trout fishing?' He would always answer, "Any time you can."

Stream Review Archives

Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]

© 1994-2014 NGTO - All Rights Reserved