NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Warm Water Reports--Freshwater
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-18, 10:42 AM   #1
Paul_R
Stocker

Default Lake Oconee help

My In-laws just purchased a house on Lake Oconee and they also just purchased a nice pontoon boat. We will be spending a good amount of time there in July and I am looking for any advice on the lake or surrounding areas.

I'm not sure what gear to bring with me or what to look for on the lake in the heat of the summer. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Can I sight fish for carp in this area?

Paul
Paul_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-18, 02:55 PM   #2
fredw
Native

I live in the mid lake area.

In July, we are targeting crappie over brush piles, santee rigging for catfish, and schooling linesides (white bass with small hybrids/stripers mixed in). During the summer months my fishing is restricted to early morning/late afternoons to beat the pleasure boater scene.
fredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 07:35 AM   #3
Paul_R
Stocker

Thanks for the info. Are there any areas of the lake I should avoid? Any local tackle shops I should check out?
Old 06-15-18, 07:55 AM   #4
groundpounder
Hall of Fame Member, Former Director

Learn where the stump fields are on the lake. There are a lot of them! You will see folks making big s-turns in wide open looking water. They are doing that for a reason. There are forests of standing timber just under the surface in many places on Oconee. The main times I fished Oconee would be Spring time for crappie, Summer nights for jugging catfish, and Summer days jigging spoons in front of the dam for hybrids and striper.
groundpounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 11:13 AM   #5
Isaac H
Native

Default Lake Oconee help

Been knocking around there (close to”the bridge”) during the summer for about 8yrs (in-laws lake house). I have yet to find any decent bait and tackle shops. The Exxon marina on the water has some....the Ace Hardware has some, but I usually go to Jerry’s (chevron station) ...but that’s mostly because my son an I can walk there....though I have swam there once.

There’s really NOTHING around there... just surprising how much money is around there! As far as fishing, are usually have to look under peoples docks In the various coves. Submerged tree stands are good too. I actually do most of my fishing off our dock. Lots of cats, bream, and bass. Haven’t seen a carp. Neighbor says he caught a nice garr a few weeks ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Isaac H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 03:48 PM   #6
FairWeatherFisherman
Past Director, Hall of Fame Member

The Highway 44 bridge during periods of power generation would be a good place to start.
FairWeatherFisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 04:55 PM   #7
fredw
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_R View Post
Thanks for the info. Are there any areas of the lake I should avoid? Any local tackle shops I should check out?
Sugar Creek Marina probably has the widest selection of tackle (and it's not huge by any means). Don't know if you fly fish or not but there's no fly fishing shops (or even any selection) around the lake.

My fishing is typically from the humps at the mouth of Sugar Creek down to the dam. Richland Creek can be very good and provides clearer water when the rivers are pumping mud into the lake.
fredw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-18, 08:20 PM   #8
fishnpreacher
Board of Directors Chaplain, Hall of Fame

I believe they do a pump back during the night hours, and the "current" will actually turn around. Hint: catfish love it, and Oconee is full of cats.

Also, what FairWeather said. Fish cut bait deep. And fish the current change

Exodus 29:18
Then burn the entire ram on the altar. It is a burnt offering to the LORD, a pleasing aroma, a food offering presented to the LORD. God loves BBQ!

"Perhaps you need a visit there yerself. Snidess doth not fall on deaf ears. ...just sayin" GoutUnlimited
fishnpreacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-18, 09:19 AM   #9
WadingThroughLife
Native

My good buddy Wayne Moore recently began a fly and light tackle guide service down there. He's been spending tons of time scouting and catching and would be a great resource to help you learn the area. He can do super early docklight trips, the pumpback bite, and everything between. Drop him an email or call. Even if you dont go with him, I'm sure you'll get some great info from him. He does emailed fishing reports too.

https://www.oconeeonthefly.com/
WadingThroughLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-18, 10:03 AM   #10
Paul_R
Stocker

Thanks for the info guys. I cant wait to get down there and explore some new water.