NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > North Georgia Rivers--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-08-18, 08:35 PM   #1
pacollier
Stocker

Default Finally wadable water on the Toccoa

After a couple of weeks of trying to match up an off day with a time they would not be generating, I was finally able to get down to the Toccoa today since the Hooch is still not an option. After a few nice Rainbows at the first spot, I packed up and moved further downstream so that I could fish longer because they were supposed to start generating again. Best move I ever made. After a couple more Rainbows I felt my line get hit the hardest it ever has for me. After a fight, I finally netted what I think is a Tiger Trout. Can someone please clarify if it is? (Picture below) I have never caught one before, and I know itís not the best quality photo. Either way, the move landed me my biggest fish I have ever caught. Still canít believe what happened at the hatchery up in Fannin County.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 729A0B51-0A3E-40C0-ADA3-121AD50B7734.jpg (17.8 KB, 204 views)
pacollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-18, 09:34 PM   #2
Dave375
Native

Thatís awesome!!!
Glad you had a great day.
Old 06-09-18, 05:51 AM   #3
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Picture is kind of tough to tell what the fish is, not looking like a tiger to me, but it could be a light colored one. Anyway - you caught more fish than I did this week

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-18, 08:44 AM   #4
pacollier
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScott View Post
Picture is kind of tough to tell what the fish is, not looking like a tiger to me, but it could be a light colored one. Anyway - you caught more fish than I did this week
Thanks for the info. Yea, the picture doesnít show great. I just didnít see any of the red dots, or any spots at all, like you would see on a Brown so was not too sure.
Old 06-09-18, 08:46 AM   #5
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacollier View Post
Thanks for the info. Yea, the picture doesn’t show great. I just didn’t see any of the red dots, or any spots at all, like you would see on a Brown so was not too sure.
Looks kind of like it could be. Hard to tell. Nice fish either way!

Definitely has some sort of brookie blood with the vermicultion on the sides.
Old 06-09-18, 10:23 AM   #6
jonmo
Native

Hard to tell by that pic what species, but it is clear what a great fish you caught. Nice job!!

Doc
jonmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-18, 11:10 AM   #7
n4rod
Stocker

Default Tiger or Brookie

I know the hatchery releases large brook trout in the tailwater. I've caught a few over the years. Hard to tell from your photo what it is. Could be a light color brook. I saw on the news about what happened at the hatchery. I'm afraid I'd revert to my Special Forces years in Vietnam if I ever caught those guys. They'd be wearing foot long trout, shoved up backwards where the sun don't shine.

I finally got in the Toccoa yesterday after waiting for 2 or 3 weeks for the rain and continuous water release schedule to come to an end. Just got a new rod in the mail and used it. It's a Moonshine Rod Company Drifter model, 8 foot 6 inch, 4-piece, 4-weight fiberglass rod. Haven't used a rod longer than 8 feet in 10 years. The butt section loads up really nicely and this thing can cast a country mile! Nice light tip that flexed well on the 5, 10 inch stocker rainbows I got to net. I mostly use size 18 dry flies and the rod did not exert too much force to yank the files out of their mouths.

Although I release all the trout I catch, I think this rod is a keeper. Now if the sun will just shine for a while maybe I'll get some more chances to use it.

Rod
n4rod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-18, 03:57 PM   #8
pacollier
Stocker

Well, I went back through my pictures from yesterday to see if I had a better picture. Here is it in my net. It looks like you can see the color and the patterns a lot better. The other photo I had to screen shot from a video since I was by myself. Thanks for the info from everyone. Canít wait to get back out there and back on the Hooch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 7A86A30A-7CFC-4C0D-A7B0-0E8BEA6353D5.jpg (20.5 KB, 108 views)
Old 06-12-18, 11:55 PM   #9
fishmystic
Stocker

Default Yup!

Vermiculations that low on the body, can't be a brook trout. (Too bad because it would be a monster brookie). Not sure what else it could be but a tiger with those markings. Yeah, it's blurry but you can see the markings well below the back in one spot.

If some folks could help me out with some good wading access spots on the Chattahoochee I would appreciate it. Haven't fished it in years since my UGA days. Staying around Duluth and would like some local wading access. Going to revisit some spots north of Helen too, but would like to have a few quick spots. Thanks!
fishmystic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-18, 12:45 PM   #10
andymoore
Native

I bet it was a tiger trout. I talked to a guy on the river who had caught a similar sized one on Saturday. He showed me the picture and it definitely was a tiger. I am betting they were stocked in one of the pay-to-fish feeder creeks and swam down.
andymoore is offline   Reply With Quote