NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-18, 04:20 PM   #1
ChaChung
Native

Default RMNP family trip. Got a bit of fishing in

We got to head out west on vacation and we camped out at the Rocky Mountain National Park for a couple of nights. We had gorgeous weather except the wind. It was a family trip so I didn't get a whole lot of time to fish but I did manage about 4 hrs on the water over 3 days.

Some of you probably saw these pix I posted on Instagram already so I apologize for the redundance.

First day we hit up a little lake which is a very popular fishing and tourist area and ended up landing 2 Brookies.

Next day we had an opportunity to hike up to one of the alpine lakes that holds the Greenback cutthroat. I spent over an hour stalking and sight fishing and ended up with 2 to net.

The following day I was able to fish the Big T near the campground and the river was amazingly productive. Browns were rising to my dry fly on these beautiful runs and I would've stayed for days just in that river if it wasn't for my family waiting on me.

I tried a whole bunch of flies including some terrestrials but the most productive was my north georgia go-to fly... 14 EHC.

What a beautiful place. I can't wait until my next trip out there.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 04:40 PM   #2
raptor
Native

Spectacular report and images ! I fished the Big T a few times and it is an amazing river in so many ways. I actually recognized that stretch of water in your photo. And, I totally understand you not wanting to leave so soon..
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-18, 08:49 PM   #3
ChaChung
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor View Post
Spectacular report and images ! I fished the Big T a few times and it is an amazing river in so many ways. I actually recognized that stretch of water in your photo. And, I totally understand you not wanting to leave so soon..
Thanks. Yeah it is where a paved road becomes a dirt road and dead ends at a trailhead. I'm sure you know where it is. The water was crystal clear and cold. What a beautiful place to be...

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 12:08 PM   #4
Upstream
Native

Nice trip and report. More water I neeed to get to.
There's so much trout water in the west, and so little time, there's always a tension between exploring other waters and settling into the fishing at hand, or revisiting favorites. Luckily, it's all good.
Upstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 12:11 PM   #5
Michael F Sights
Stocker

Thanks for the great report & pics!
Michael F Sights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-18, 09:47 PM   #6
FlickNdip
Native

Great report. Can't wait to get out there later this year. I will just miss the amazing dry fly action the state is having right now.

Team Georgia Competitive Fly Fishing Team now has a Facebook Page and an Instagram Page . Check them out for great information, pictures and events!

New to fly fishing? Check out Monthlyfly.com For localized Match The Hatch Flies mailed to your door!
FlickNdip is offline   Reply With Quote