NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > N. Georgia Small Streams--Trout Reports
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-18, 09:04 AM   #21
Deerhuntingdawg
Native

I should be around that area that weekend. Time permitting I’ll try to stop by and help. I’d like to meet some more of y’all👍👍
Deerhuntingdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 11:27 AM   #22
Killer Kyle
Native

Put my name down. I'm in.....
I'm just wondering why a work "day" is only three hours though? If we could get some good work done in three hours, imagine what we could do in six.
What ever happened to a good ol' fashioned eight hour work day?
Killer Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 12:58 PM   #23
Upstream
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
Put my name down. I'm in.....
I'm just wondering why a work "day" is only three hours though? If we could get some good work done in three hours, imagine what we could do in six.
They can't afford to pay us all for full 8, just 3.

Just kidding, it's volunteer for us, of course. And over the years, I think they've (TU/USFS) found that enough of the workforce returns to their normal weekend lives after lunch that's it's just easier planning to figure a morning's effort.

Workdays formerly were planned to include after lunch work too, and in those days it was a little disconcerting to find that a significant portion had left us to finish these four structures alone, or something. Then again, the labor force was often coming from as much as 100 miles, and apparently had soccer games to attend.
Upstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 01:13 PM   #24
THE EG
CFO, HoF Member, Director

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killer Kyle View Post
Hehe, old dudes run out of gas after about four hours. Toting logs, slinging picks and shovels, and my most hated work, flinging rocks, take a lot out of folks. Young backs are very welcome indeed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Upstream View Post
Workdays formerly were planned to include after lunch work too, and in those days it was a little disconcerting to find that a significant portion had left us to finish these four structures alone, or something.
Yep.
Old 07-12-18, 03:52 PM   #25
iso1600
Native

If I come, it will be me driving in the night before and camping somewhere, or driving up at 3-4am to make it the morning of... I would not do that if it was an all-day thing. I want to get some fishing in after lol.
Old 07-12-18, 05:50 PM   #26
Killer Kyle
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE EG View Post
Hehe, old dudes run out of gas after about four hours. Toting logs, slinging picks and shovels, and my most hated work, flinging rocks, take a lot out of folks. Young backs are very welcome indeed.

Yep.
I know this may sound totally weird, part of what I do for a living is throwing rocks. Like....the literal, physical act of hurling large rocks. Sometimes one or two hundred of them at a time. I've spent literally entire days doing nothing but throwing rocks.
....and I have to admit....I love that aspect of my job. I look forward to the opportunity when I get to do that. I know it is weird to love throwing rocks. I don't know why I love it, but I do. I'm weird like that. Something primal in me I suppose.

For those of you driving passenger vehicles, you need to ride in a truck, truck bed, or SUV with somebody else when carpooling. Upper Poplar Stump Road is a little rough right now. It hasn't been maintained since August of 2015, and the recent rains have done a number on the road.
Killer Kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 06:10 PM   #27
mudrun
Native

Following. I can't make the 28th but I can make future dates, and I love hauling logs and rocks. I do Spartan and OCR races and lifting lots of real things while knee deep in water is good training. I'll throw rocks until the sun sets.
mudrun is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 06:17 PM   #28
fishinbub
Hall of Fame Member

Shoot, I may try to make both dates if I can. Haven't been to one of these in years.

The right flies at the right time: Monthly Fly
fishinbub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 06:31 PM   #29
Lumis
Native

I'm fairly interested in this. I think I can make it.
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-18, 11:22 PM   #30
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

Thank you for the response all of you!

Not only is this going to help some of our streams, but it’s looking like this is going to help connect a lot of us as well. Bring a touch of “fellowship” back as well!