NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > General Information
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-18, 12:39 PM   #1
caddis_fly1
Stocker

Default Euro Nymphing

Hello everyone. I have been a long time member here. I used to fish all the time, and was an active member of the board. I have not been very active with fishing for many years. Life has taken me away from fishing for a time, but i am ready to get back out and get started again. i came across this article on Euro nymphing and found it pretty interesting. I have always done the traditional indicator technique. Anyway, i bought a video called Modern Nymphing and have watched it. I plan to go to Smiths tomorrow and give it a try. Does anyone have any experience with this technique, and can offer any suggestions. I bought a euro leader, but only have my 9 foot sage 5 weight to start with. Thanks for any help.
caddis_fly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-18, 12:46 PM   #2
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

Every tip you need is in that movie. Just be sure to learn how they use the triple surgeons to make tags rather than tying off the bend of the hook. Also, use light 5x or 6x fluoro tippet and HEAVY tungsten beaded or lead wrapped flies (jig flies are preferred to lessen the amount you hook bottom). The 9 foot 5 weight should work just fine, it's what I used when I first learned how to euro nymph. Minimize false casting also, just do an oval cast or bow and arrow for tight quarters.
Sighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-18, 06:42 AM   #3
Big T
BOD HOF SSQTCH

I would consider lengthening your leader if attached to a weight forward line. That line is designed to be heavy at the front and will create sag. smiths is shallow in a lot of areas so you shouldn't need super heavy flies. I teach more of a suspension style of euro nymphing so you are close to bottom but not necessarily bumping bottom all the time.

I would stick with 5x since you have a 5 weight. It will work fine but should you ever decide to go to a dedicated nymphing rod the lighter weight rod will allow you to downsize your tippet and not break fish off.

Sighter is spot on with the casting. Try and stop your cast with the rod tip slightly higher creating a lob effect. You want the flies entering at a steeper angle, without allowing your leader to touch the water. This will keep you connected from the beginning of the drift.

Use Promo Code NGTO for 5% off
Big T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-18, 11:15 AM   #4
caddis_fly1
Stocker

Thanks everyone for the advice. I went out yesterday, and gave it a whirl. The fishing was slow all day that I was there. I managed 2 fish the whole day. I will try and get back out soon and give it some more work.
caddis_fly1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-18, 05:23 PM   #5
NetBoy
Native

I tried the same thing and bought a Rio Euro leader at AO. tried using it on my 9' 5wt and there was too much sag and hard to cast.

For your rod and line there are places online that sell hand tied euro leaders with a heavy butt section, 20# and up to 20 feet long. That should be easier to cast and not have any fly line out.
NetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote