NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Welcome to NGTO > Suggestion Box
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-18, 09:00 PM   #21
JerryG
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamp Angel View Post
That helps immensely in planning how to go forward with upgrades and some possible re-vamps to the site and its accessibility. That very issue has come up a few time before in many discussions. Your post has been noted and will be brought up in further discussions. Thanks for taking the time to bring this up!
I'm sure there are companies out there that could verify the IPs and or registration email accts of the membership, and maybe do a scrub.

How ironic would it be if bots were registering in some sort of phishing attempt on a, fishing forum.
JerryG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-18, 09:09 PM   #22
Swamp Angel
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryG View Post
How ironic would it be if bots were registering in some sort of phishing attempt on a, fishing forum.
Dear heavens! You're worse than I am with this kind of thinking!
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-18, 11:30 PM   #23
orey10m
Native

"2) Bring back video posting. Our current vBulletin version is 3.7.2. The current vBulletin version is 5.n.n. It's a couple generations past us. The versions that are older than 4.0.0 are no longer supported by the designer and thus we can no longer post videos as we once did."

Marc, just wanted to point out a nuance to this that I'm sure yall are aware of but had me thinking..
I would suggest that we don't want the site to start actually hosting the videos themselves..just give the site the ability to do that whole "play a youtube/vimeo video right here on this page" thing. Where if I post a link to an externally hosted video (like one I've uploaded to youtube, or something I found on the internet), yall can see it in a viewer and watch it right there in my post.

Storage/hosting would get really insane really quick if we let people's posts actually host here.

Also, yes, the picture thing has gotten so frustrating.
In terms of the "look"/appearance of the site, I gotta say I kinda like it. And I'm of the younger generation on here.
It's vintage, it's rudimentary, it's kinda eyepoppingly-teal, and it has a uniqueness to it that adds to the comraderie/feel of this community. Nobodys coming here and committed to posting, learning and sharing because of the awesome-looking website... they're coming because of the legitimacy / substance / content of what is found here.
The fisherman are really good.They share and provide awesome motivation/inspiration ("i got out 3 times this week" or "i caught 20+ fish yesterday" or "look at this huge brownn!"), provide great insights, instruction, tips, etc.
The fly tyers are really good. I've fished with people from this board who's flies have been picked up/are currently sold by orvis haha.
The resident gear experts/fly shop participants are really good and honest (jacksondockery, iso1600 type posters)..not jus blowing smoke about the latest and greatest gear but actually understanding and answering peoples questions the best they can.

Anyway, I think it's kinda nice that it looks the way it does. I haven't taken the time to invest as much in some other 'more updated" looking forums, probably because subconsciously I don't feel they will have as good of participants or information. Idk, it's fishing..it's a pursuit where "timeless" and "old" carry some weight. It's like "new money" vs. "Old money". I don't want to talk cars to the guy at the car show about his maserati he's leasing...I want to talk cars with the corvette owner or ferrari owner who has bought a few over the years, in cash. He's the guy that's gonna know the most/have real and unique insights.

I do think the user experience could be improved, and If I were an advertiser I think the banners /ad space could be improved, but I think there's some elements of the "old school" look that we should try to keep around. Those that will be rewarded are those that don't judge a book by its cover..and they stick around here and take the time to learn and become part of the community.

Sorry that got really long winded there...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Old 05-24-18, 08:26 AM   #24
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Just goes to show you that if you hang on to those old clothes long enough, they will come back in style! I too have always kind of liked the simple look and feel of our little corner of cyberspace. And some folks that are also members of other outdoor forums have referred to us as "that green site".

We are obviously mostly concerned about features and functionality that this old platform cannot support. Please be patient as we work through this, as it will be an involved effort. But the wheels are in motion and we are starting to seriously explore what our options are.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-18, 04:36 PM   #25
baldea
BOD, Hall of Fame

Can we just blame all the new registrations on the Russians or ISIS or some 6th grade IT wiz?

Keep the comments coming as our little slice of the interwebs doesn’t need to be a bunch of old tweed wearing, pipe smoking, bamboo with silk lines stuffy old farts like Buck Henry😜

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

baldea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-18, 05:11 PM   #26
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldea View Post
Keep the comments coming as our little slice of the interwebs doesn’t need to be a bunch of old tweed wearing, pipe smoking, bamboo with silk lines stuffy old farts like Buck Henry😜
So true. But don't forget that I more than carry my weight around here during football season! And when I die, one of these young whipper snappers needs to take over my cheerleader pic posting duties.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-18, 09:18 PM   #27
baldea
BOD, Hall of Fame

One of these days you’ll see the light and enjoy what you refer to as the JV games on Saturday.

Sorry to hijack a meaningful thread. Now back to the subject of making things better around here.

Want to Help Ease DNR's Budget Woes? Buy a TU license Plate!

Last edited by baldea; 05-24-18 at 09:23 PM.
baldea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-18, 10:15 PM   #28
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by baldea View Post
One of these days you’ll see the light and enjoy what you refer to as the JV games on Saturday.

Sorry to hijack a meaningful thread. Now back to the subject of making things better around here.

Cheerleaders make everything better. Duh.
I also like the green. It reminds me of the pea soup from turnover

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-18, 10:37 PM   #29
troutbum69
Native

Whatever you do just don't put in a "like" feature. It just dumbs things down to a single post with no discussion after.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Stop Whining"
troutbum69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-18, 07:55 AM   #30
eyeflyfish
Native

I have met some great folks through this forum.

I would like an easier way to post photos. I have limited social media skills and even less desire to be involved in other formats. I do like occasionally sharing my adventures to secret 20" creeks, even though some folks take offense to my tactics.
eyeflyfish is offline   Reply With Quote