NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Welcome to NGTO > Suggestion Box
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-18, 10:43 AM   #1
splatek16

Default NGTO

So I've been on NGTO for about 18 +/- months. I really enjoy reading others posts about fishing and posting my own results, which have grown from a daily skunk to catching more than a few on occasion. Anyhow, this is my drop in the old "Suggestion box"

1) Over the past year at least one, possibly two, image upload platforms have been eliminated pretty much forcing folks who want to post images to utilize TapaTalk on a phone. This might be suboptimal for folks for a number of reasons, not the least of which is aging eyes and the use of a phone. I am of the mindset of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" and I don't think NGTO platform is broken, but it certainly is dated. For example, the simple addition of a "like" button would change the face of the platform immensely. I realize those things cost money, but one might consider bartering with a young person who is studying IT to do some modifications in exchange for some fishing lessons, guiding, or what have you.

2) Part of me really likes the "retro-cool" styling of NGTO, but it's not exactly user friendly. I doubt anyone sits at their computer thinking, "I can't wait to sign on to NGTO and navigate that platform." I could be wrong. And this is not meant to offend the original creators of the platform. It's worked solidly for many years.

3) I can only assume - but am open to other opinions - that these (old platform, no photo image upload feature, and maybe others) are the reason that there are so few people that post. Depending on which data you pay attention to there are either ~11,000 members

Or over 45,000 members of the site

by those numbers, with only a handful of people posting regularly that means a fraction of a fraction of a percent of folks on here are engaged. The others are simply lurkers, trolls...? Seems to me like that ratio might be one reason people don't post more regularly. If NGTO is to effectively meet the goals laid out in its mission statement

http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/ngto/

Perhaps these numbers need to be addressed. One way might be to enact a mass purge of folks that haven't posted in the last year, two, or whatever. Another way, might be to contact the members and ask them to opt in, else their account will be terminated.

I know I'm not the only one who has solve of these concerns as I've talked to several folks who for some reason raise these concerns with me, I have no power. But I'm a listener, I guess. I think folks want ngto to be great again. A friend once told me that "back in the hay day" ngto had stream projects and group campouts fairly regularly. That there was a positive exchange of ideas, learning, mentorship. But while others remember those times, they also admit they are long gone.

Take all this with a grain of salt, however. I don't think I know half the BOD, but I'm sure they're super active and engaged in the trout community, providing on steam mentorship and meeting the aims of the organization, but just aren't posting. And I'm sure there isn't any money in the bank to make changes, so I realize this is all a pipe dream (Dream, lol).

And, yes I know: if I'm not happy I can just pick up my hockey stick and get the puck outta here, but I don't really wanna do that, because I've made some good friends through this forum, some decent acquaintances, have learned a lot, and might have helped one, maybe two people. At least Spencer, I think this board has certainly helped me help him. I just think it could come into the 21st century so that when Spencer and his fishing buddies get of age to wanna talk fishing they might actually want to visit this site....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-18, 10:51 AM   #2
Buck Henry
Former NGTO President, Sith Lord, FKA Bhuk Henri

The platform that NGTO runs on is definitely old and outdated, no one will argue otherwise. But upgrading it to something new involves time, money and a decent level of expertise (you have to move all the old data over to the new platform). I know the BOD has considered spending the money (which would be considerable as we would have to hire the expertise) to upgrade, but then we figure the dam thing still works so let it ride. We have been crossing our toes and fingers for many years and this old platform keeps on chugging along (but not without it's issues and limitations).

I for one am a strong proponent of spending the money but it would definitely put a big dent in our wallet! Maybe we can do a special pass the hat collection to help pay for what again would be a pretty expensive endeavor.

Buck Henry
Simple Goat Herder
Former NGTO President
Hall of Fame Member
Buck Henry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-18, 11:04 AM   #3
Swamp Angel
President

BH pretty much explains the issues involved with making a change. The BOD has been looking at an upgrade for quite awhile but there are some difficulties that will have to be overcome. There's also the fear that during the change over we might have some significant down time.

Check your PMs for a more thorough explanation.

Thanks for the post, by the way!
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-18, 11:11 AM   #4
Philhutch80
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Henry View Post
The platform that NGTO runs on is definitely old and outdated, no one will argue otherwise. But upgrading it to something new involves time, money and a decent level of expertise (you have to move all the old data over to the new platform). I know the BOD has considered spending the money (which would be considerable as we would have to hire the expertise) to upgrade, but then we figure the dam thing still works so let it ride. We have been crossing our toes and fingers for many years and this old platform keeps on chugging along (but not without it's issues and limitations).

I for one am a strong proponent of spending the money but it would definitely put a big dent in our wallet! Maybe we can do a special pass the hat collection to help pay for what again would be a pretty expensive endeavor.
Buck that all makes sense. Comes back to something simple though, it takes money to make money. If NGTO has the money or needs it perhaps a patreon channel promoting NGTO could be enacted to help supplemental funding. That would require more interaction and having events more along the line of what Splatek mentioned.
I am in the similar camp with Splatek and others that the forum needs some changes no doubt on many fronts but that takes effort. I like the idea of purging members. I love the idea of a like button as it is on several other forums I am a part of and it really is a good thing. I also have another thread going which has some suggestions that Swampy and I were going over as well. Take a look and lets keep these conversations going and growing. Thanks for the positive posts guys!
Supplemental Stocking Program Like No Other???: http://www.georgia-outdoors.com/foru...d.php?t=115934

"Everyday is a new life to a wise man."
-Chinese Proverb

“At sunrise everything is luminous but not clear.”
-Norman Maclean

"We are what we hunt."
-PH
Philhutch80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-18, 11:23 AM   #5
Sighter
NGTO Instagram Controller

I wholeheartedly agree with everything Steve posted and am not oblivious to the amount of work it would take. However I would give my time to help make this goal a reality.
Sighter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-18, 12:14 PM   #6
3-wt
Native, formerly known as "Streamside Sam"

With a view/comment ratio on threads that’s often ~50/1, there’s just a general attitude of apathy and lack of participation that is hard to combat. I mean, with a membership of 12,000 or 47,000 (not sure which is right), how many folks were at the last Fling? There’s also seems to be a high attrition rate amongst fly anglers, with some that post like their hair’s on fire for a few months, only to crash and burn, and you never hear from them again. This is at least in part attributable to the difficult nature of catching trouts on the fly, especially on the Hooch; it’s just not the easiest angling to become proficient at. Wading, reading water, getting a good drift, making adjustments…many folks want an easier path to catching fish. So, the subculture of dedicated trout anglers seems very small to me.

I agree with the site needing a major facelift; spend the $.
Old 05-23-18, 01:23 PM   #7
browniez
NGTO Hall of Fame

I have just never seen more people who are just foul and mean over a 10” stocked trout. That’s what’s hurting it

Why would you post something to just get shouted at on here? For several people I know who no longer post, it has simply been the vitriol of the place. There is just a contingent of folks that don’t make this place very fun.

People get excited for catching their first trout on a fly, or their first decent brown and some dingbat has to come in flaming hot on #keepemwet tip. Why would you keep posting.

The general attitude has just changed. A lot of people have disappeared from here, but I still see em on the waters. That should tell you.

This forum also needs to be private until you establish an account. The “Google visibility” factor plays in.
Old 05-23-18, 01:57 PM   #8
Swamp Angel
President

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post

This forum also needs to be private until you establish an account. The “Google visibility” factor plays in.
That's one thing that has been considered. We don't want to limit everything to members only viewing, but certainly there is a good bit that should be limited to members only. Some of it still should remain open to viewing by unregistered lurkers in order to demonstrate what is offered here.

Keep bringing in some ideas. There are a lot of things that can be adjusted and done differently.
If you have difficulty understanding the post above, read it out loud and it should make sense. This NGTO member is known for his poor hill-billy upbringing and his affinity for all things from Louisiana (particularly if it relates to LSU). It makes for a poor mix of accents and much difficulty in translation. He was doing well for so long, but now seems to have regressed.
Swamp Angel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-18, 02:00 PM   #9
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by browniez View Post
I have just never seen more people who are just foul and mean over a 10” stocked trout. That’s what’s hurting it

Why would you post something to just get shouted at on here? For several people I know who no longer post, it has simply been the vitriol of the place. There is just a contingent of folks that don’t make this place very fun.

People get excited for catching their first trout on a fly, or their first decent brown and some dingbat has to come in flaming hot on #keepemwet tip. Why would you keep posting.

The general attitude has just changed. A lot of people have disappeared from here, but I still see em on the waters. That should tell you.

Alex, yeah there are a few folks like that. I also agree about the Google visibility, makes it easy to easy to troll

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
splatek16 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-18, 02:24 PM   #10
Lumis
Native

The forum is extremely outdated.. it's not a huge deal but it probably does deter some users.

To add on to what browniez said, people will say something foul OR they won't say anything at all and leave the thread empty.

I love sharing news about a trip here or a trip there and I'm sure most people do too, but unless you're Big T or some other big name, you're not going to get very much recognition. Hell, I write the reports anyway. But I'm sure there's plenty of other users that won't write one the second or third time around.

There's simply no incentive to post most of the time.
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote