NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > NGTO Fishing Forums > Ask the Experts
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-18, 07:27 PM   #1
Chiefus
Stocker

Default Euro Nymphing Rods

Hey guys,

Iím brand new to this forum here and Iíve really been wanting to get into euro nymphing lately so I would love to get some advice on a rod that isnít going to break the bank. Iíve been considering the Syndicate 10í 3 wt ($299), Cortland 10í 3wt ($250), and Cabelaís CZN 10í 3 wt ($199). I kind of want to go with the Cabelaís but wouldnít mind spending the extra money on the Syndicate if itís worth the extra value. Anybody have any experience with these rods or have any other suggestions? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Chiefus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-18, 07:57 PM   #2
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

First, I see this is your first post so welcome to this madness!

Of the three rods you mention, I have two - the Syndicate and the Cortland, you can't go wrong with either. I have also fished a Cabelas CZN, it's a fine stick as well. Its a good time to get into the EN game, several good rods at reasonable prices. Pick one, seriously they are all good sticks and as you are just beginning they will work just fine.

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-18, 08:00 PM   #3
3-wt
Native, formerly known as "Streamside Sam"

I have the Cortland (10', 3 wt), but as soon as I bought the Syndicate (10', 3 wt.), the Cortland became my back up rod. Fit and finish, tip sensitivity, and casting is superior with the Syndicate vs. the Cortland IMO.
Old 05-22-18, 08:04 PM   #4
WPrich
Native

Default Syndicate

I've had my 10' 3 wt Syndicate for over a year and its a great rod to me and what I learned to nymph on. It has everything you need a sensitive tip, light weight, strong butt section to handle bigger fish, great reach, can cast a dry-dropper, and the company is ran by good guys who stand behind their warranty from what I've seen and heard from friends and other anglers. Check out Big T's store, he probably has one for you to pick up now if that's the rod you decide to go with.
WPrich is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-18, 08:21 PM   #5
Kelly Hinson
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefus View Post
Hey guys,

Iím brand new to this forum here and Iíve really been wanting to get into euro nymphing lately so I would love to get some advice on a rod that isnít going to break the bank. Iíve been considering the Syndicate 10í 3 wt ($299), Cortland 10í 3wt ($250), and Cabelaís CZN 10í 3 wt ($199). I kind of want to go with the Cabelaís but wouldnít mind spending the extra money on the Syndicate if itís worth the extra value. Anybody have any experience with these rods or have any other suggestions? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Hello, I had a 10'6" 2wt from Big T and it was a great intro rod for me unfortunately, it got lost on the Toccoa but I bought the rod based on price , $125 and T's recommendation as well. Just wanted to get that out to you and I recently picked up an Orvis Recon 10' 3 wt to replace it.

Good luck on whatever you go with because all of the mentioned rods are good choices.

Kelly Hinson
Kelly Hinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-18, 08:24 PM   #6
NetBoy
Native

Syndicate. I've cast all three and the Syndicate does everything right for the best price.

And get Big Ts aggressive butt euro leader. It'll help with casting if you are new to euro nymphing. I can accurately cast two 3.5mm tungsten nymphs with this rig. Optional but I have the Orvis Access Mid Arbor II reel with Rio Euro line (zero stretch, no sag).
NetBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-18, 08:28 PM   #7
Chiefus
Stocker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelly Hinson View Post
Hello, I had a 10'6" 2wt from Big T and it was a great intro rod for me unfortunately, it got lost on the Toccoa but I bought the rod based on price , $125 and T's recommendation as well. Just wanted to get that out to you and I recently picked up an Orvis Recon 10' 3 wt to replace it.

Good luck on whatever you go with because all of the mentioned rods are good choices.

Kelly Hinson
The Orvis Recon is another one that I was looking at. I’ve heard great things about that rod. Thanks for the advice on Big T’s 2wt. I’ll definitely look into that one.
Old 05-22-18, 08:43 PM   #8
Chiefus
Stocker

I very much appreciate all the feedback from everybody. After reading all the replies, I think you guys have convinced me to just go ahead and spend the little extra money on the Syndicate. I appreciate all the advice on leaders and reels as well. Very helpful!

Old 05-23-18, 10:41 AM   #9
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Quote:
Originally Posted by NetBoy View Post
......And get Big Ts aggressive butt ........
Sorry, I laughed at Big T's aggressive butt

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-18, 10:47 AM   #10
splatek16

Quote:
Originally Posted by RScott View Post
Sorry, I laughed at Big T's aggressive butt
RScott: There is this phenomenon in psychology called priming. Essentially it suggests that certain cue words can provide predictive validity to what's on a person's mind. For example, when i say cat, most people think dog, because the two are possibly connected in the brain, somehow. so the fact that Big T's butt was the first thing to come to mind... I guess we know what you are daydreaming about down in that cube! BAHAHAHAHAHAHA JK
splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote