NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Chattahoochee River
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-18, 06:30 PM   #1
Isaac H
Native

Default Poll: Expanding fly collection for 船a Hooch

I realized I致e only got 3 nymph patterns and 3 or 4 dry patterns in my bag.

Time to expand the collection... can I get suggestions for top 5 dries and top 5 nymphs for the beloved Atlanta Homewater?

Let痴 add top 5 streamers (& color combos for WBs)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by Isaac H; 05-23-18 at 06:37 PM.
Isaac H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-18, 06:43 PM   #2
WPrich
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac H View Post
I realized I’ve only got 3 nymph patterns and 3 or 4 dry patterns in my bag.

Time to expand the collection... can I get suggestions for top 5 dries and top 5 nymphs for the beloved Atlanta Homewater?

Let’s add top 5 streamers (& color combos for WBs)

Help out the best I can, I really only use dries when I'm dry-dropping and streamers are something I plan to get into soon but I do fish smaller streamers when I need the weight or a bigger profile. I euro-nymph mostly so I included more that just 5 nymphs in that category.

Dries
EHC 14-16, Stimis 12-16, Parachutes 16-18, Griffiths Gnats 18 & smaller

Nymphs
Hares ears/Walts Worms 10-18, Pheasant Tails/Frenchies 12-18, FNA Prince Nymphs 12-16, Girdle Bugs 6-10, Rainbow Warriors/Blue Assassins 16-18, midges (olive,black, red etc) 16 and much smaller!, san juans/squirmies(red, pink, brown, tan) I guess should be included as well

Streamers
Olive/Black Wooly Buggers 8-12, Olive/Black Leeches 8-12, Muddler Minnows 6-10

Last edited by WPrich; 05-23-18 at 06:53 PM.
WPrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-18, 08:44 PM   #3
UncleJesse
Native

Although it seem like I have lost my ability to get to the river the last couple of years, in the past a black ant drowning under an Adams has been good for rising trout.
Old 05-23-18, 09:27 PM   #4
RScott
Ex-President, Victim of the Cajun Rebellion

Yeah, don't overthink out favorite tailwater, we don't have the bug life to the degree that trout zero in on much of anything, they are opportunistic out of necessity. Parachute adams, elk hair caddis (EHC) and stimi's in orange and yellow are all you really need as far as dry flys. Others will certainly work, but these will get you in a good starting point. Richard mentions a Griffiths gnat, which can be really good at times, but think 18s and 20s.

Some days a particular nymph will outfish another one, but any hares ear variant or pheasant tail variant in sizes 14 -18 will almost always work. I like silver beads lately, but gold and copper also produce.

Since I seem to be having trouble getting on the water lately and then actually catching fish, I can help you out with a starter pack if you want, just PM me and give me a week or so to tie some up.

Support the Mission Statement - buy the TU License Plate!

RScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-18, 09:34 PM   #5
Isaac H
Native

Default Poll: Expanding fly collection for 船a Hooch

Thanks for the SUPER generous offer, but I知 trying to stick with homegrown. 典ie my own supply😁

Isaac H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-18, 10:22 PM   #6
erikclymore
Native

It’s really quite simple actually. Big T’s uv micro bugger in olive and size 12 is all you need. Drift it like a nymph, strip/ swing it like a streamer, and I’m pretty sure you could throw some floatant on it and fish it like a dry. It works that well!

If I had to fill some vacant space in my box and I was all out of olive marabou for more buggers it would probably look something like this:
Nymphs? Any zebra(or other simple) midges and waltz variations are pretty safe bets. I’ve found this concoction of materials I call the Rubbermaid(basically a soft hackle pheasant tail) on my line more often than not. It has been a consistent producer.
Dries? EHC in size 12 and 16 depending on what you’re floating beneath it. The color doesn’t matter, because at the end of the day it’s just a glorified bobber with a hook on it.
Streamers? I like to tie overly complicated articulated junk, but the one I have the most confidence in would be a slump buster tied with rabbit instead of pine squirrel in brown, olive, or black. It’s simple, super effective, and it won’t hurt to bad when you whip it off your 6x tippet because you were to lazy to take off your euro rig.
erikclymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-18, 10:36 PM   #7
WPrich
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by erikclymore View Post
It’s really quite simple actually. Big T’s uv micro bugger in olive and size 12 is all you need. Drift it like a nymph, strip/ swing it like a streamer, and I’m pretty sure you could throw some floatant on it and fish it like a dry. It works that well!
Definitely one of the most deadly flies right there, some days I choose not to fish that bugger because it almost makes fishing too easy.

Last edited by WPrich; 05-23-18 at 10:55 PM.
WPrich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-18, 10:54 PM   #8
splatek16

A great angler once, actually more than once told me that if you look into the box of the best anglers you'll only see like four, maybe five patterns.
I like that credo
Midge, Walt's, worm under any dry that's small enough to look tasty, big enough to see for strike detection

splatek16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-18, 08:41 AM   #9
djangofly
Native

I fish a Pat's rubber legs almost every time I go out. I think it is good to have a few of those or girdle bugs in the box.
djangofly is offline   Reply With Quote