NGTO Message Board
Welcome to NGTO!
Home ] [ Membership ] [ Donations ] [ Feedback ] [ Stream Reviews ] [ Stream Reports ] [ Maps ] [ Events ] [ Articles ] [ Rules and Regulations ] [ Archives ] Message Board ] FAQ ] [ Hall of Fame ] Sponsors & Supporters ] About ] [ Witticisms ] [ Distinguished Members ]
Welcome to NGTO!

Go Back   NGTO Message Board > Fishing Reports > Beyond Georgia
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Photo Gallery Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-21-18, 10:05 PM   #1
story teller1981
Native

Default Frying Pan River, Basalt, CO

I had an awesome opportunity to drive the wife’s car from from Kentucky to Los Angeles, CA. My brother wanted roll with me so I picked him up in Kansas City and we continued West. We fished the dream stream for a few hours and caught a couple of SNITs, and decided to get away from the crowds. We drove through Independence Pass towards Aspen and got lucky to see some awesome views.

When we got to the frying pan it was late afternoon and the weather was turning pretty crappy, so of course the amateurs were headed home. We pushed our luck and caught a few that first night. This being my biggest:

The next day we decided to hit the toilet bowl and boy did the mysis shrimp clean up. We caught a ton of fish between 14-21”. We caught rainbows, cutties, and of course lots of browns. If you get a chance it is great river from top to bottom and has roughly 8 miles (of 14) that are open to the public.

And of course the biggest fish of the trip

When we got done with the toilet bowl we decided to get back on the road and hit Vegas about 2am. The city that never disappoints. Everything from midget mud wrestling to hookers tried to get in our wallets to no avail.

After that we decided to hit Hoover dam

Then it was off to LA to drop off the car for its voyage further west and south a little (HI). All in all it was a great trip and great to hang out with my little brother.

Oh yeah and we scored some great bourbon along the way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
story teller1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-18, 10:26 PM   #2
Lumis
Native

This is awesome. Looks like you guys had an awesome time catching some awesome fish.

Snow by October is surprising. For a Georgian at least.
Lumis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-18, 10:32 PM   #3
narcodog
Native

How did you like that single lane road over the pass?
Old 10-21-18, 10:59 PM   #4
JOHNKIES
Hall of Fame Member

Default Single Lane Road?

Are you talking about Independence Pass? That one is two lane (or one lane if the plows are not caught up) and even paved. My first trips across Independence was on gravel and they just closed the pass in the winter. Had to go the long way via Glenwood Springs.
JOHNKIES is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-18, 11:21 PM   #5
story teller1981
Native

Independence Pass was a whopping two lanes, and paved. It was snowing a little on the east side and a lot on the westside when we went through. Luckily you can check the status of the pass via the inter-webs.
story teller1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-18, 10:56 AM   #6
narcodog
Native

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHNKIES View Post
Are you talking about Independence Pass? That one is two lane (or one lane if the plows are not caught up) and even paved. My first trips across Independence was on gravel and they just closed the pass in the winter. Had to go the long way via Glenwood Springs.
When I went over it about 9 years ago I was merrily driving along when all of a sudden there was a sign, which I missed , that stated caution road narrows. I saw the second sign. The areas are just a very short distance. I will say that drive is almost as beautiful as the Bear Tooth.
Old 10-22-18, 10:59 AM   #7
ChaChung
Native

Amazing... Thanks for the report. I have been dreaming of going back to CO ever since my first trip out there this summer.

Some days I'm the hook and some days I'm the fish.

Instagram @charles_the_toothsmith
ChaChung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-18, 11:23 AM   #8
raptor
Native

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by story teller1981 View Post
Independence Pass was a whopping two lanes, and paved. It was snowing a little on the east side and a lot on the westside when we went through. Luckily you can check the status of the pass via the inter-webs.
I traveled through the pass last Summer and it was an awesome site. It closes when the weather gets bad. So, you all got there at a good time. I have family in Carbondale and the Pan is one of my favorites. Love fishing it with a light snow as well. Great report and images!
raptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-18, 05:54 PM   #9
fishndoc
Native

From Independence Pass down to Aspen, the road narrows down to a very narrow one lane in two or three places. Unfortunately it happens as you are rounding a curve with a very limited line of sight.
A cool trip though.

We were fishing on the Fryingpan week before last, and it was awesome - just caught the end of the Green Drakes. My wife came up with the best description: if Disneyland had a "fly fishing ride", it would be the Fryingpan.
fishndoc is offline   Reply With Quote