Re: dropper flies

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Tom on March 08, 1998 at 23:08:11:

In Reply to: Re: dropper flies posted by Tim on March 05, 1998 at 10:54:33:

> > So if I want to fish a nymph, with a dry fly as an indicator, I tie the dry fly to my tippet and then I drop a line off the eye of my dry fly for the nymph. Right? Do I use lighter tippet material for the dropper or heavier?

> Seems like everyone has their own way! I method I use to attach my tippet to my leader is a double surgeons loop, thus a loop to loop connection. This allows me to tie an "extra" tippet to the end of the leader for a dry fly dropper. I use a slightly heavier tippet just so it will be a little stiffer and stand out from the nymph tippet and not twist up as much. This method can be aggravating since the two tippets will occasionally twist together, but I like it because the dry fly will float in a more natural manner, and you may catch as many on your "indicator" as your nymph.

> This brings up another question. On special regulation streams (Waters Creek, some NC steams) that specify single hook, is this dropper method illegal? There is a single hook per lure, but you have 2 lures and thus 2 hooks. Anyone know?
> Tim

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]