Re: New to Fly Fishing and Georgia

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by Flyguy on February 22, 1998 at 20:47:44:

In Reply to: New to Fly Fishing and Georgia posted by Mark Ellis on February 22, 1998 at 10:19:40:

Mark,

Congradulations and welcome to the great world of Flyfishing. I myself do not own a Diamondback rod, but fish with others that do and they are very pleased with the product.

If you are just getting started I would pick a large body of water to practice on and the dont come any bigger than the Hooch. Just about any access point on the river will be good to start out in but, make sure that it is wadable first.
I would suggest just below Buford Dam od Jones Bridge. These two areas will be better for wadding and they are very wide so you will have pleanty of room to practice the casting. If you go to Buford Dam you are required to wear a life jacket at all time from the dam to Hwy. 20. Also you need to check the generating schedule before going, the water can rise and get very swift in no time at all.

As far as flies go, I would start with a varity of nymphs and a few dry flies. Some of the common nymphs are: Prince, Hairs Ear, Phesant Tail, Stone fly. Some of the dry flies are: Blue Dun, Elk Hair Caddis, and some small assortment of midges but, the best I have found by far is a Bead Head Wolly Bugger, black and olive color's seem to do the best for me.

If you have any other questions you can e-mail me at Flyguy0007@aol.com

Tight Lines and Great fishing

Follow Ups:

Post a Followup

Name:
E-Mail:

Subject:

Comments:

Optional Link URL:
Link Title:
Optional Image URL:

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ georgia-outdoors.com message board ] [ FAQ ]